I do like to do all manner of fun things with spreads, but I must confess that these days no spread holds a candle to this pesto thyme spread.
It reminds me of a spread you might eat while sitting on a bench at a reclaimed wood farm table on the Italian countryside with sun pouring in the windows and the smell of fresh bread wafting through the air and old women bustling all about with flour –spattered aprons. That’s just one example.
What I love about this tartine is that it’s equal parts healthy and tasty (it passed the hubs taste test with flying colors!). So many pestos are ladened with all sorts of oil and nuts. Don’t get me wrong, pesto is a spread that is totally worth its weight in fat. But this new spread makes me think maybe it doesn’t have to. Combine it with heart healthy avocados, microgreens and a crusty bread, and you have yourself a great lunch or snack.
- ⅓ cup fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus extra, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Hearty baguette, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Handful of microgreens
- Shaved parmesan, for garnish
- In a food processor, pulse together all Thyme Pesto ingredients until smooth.
- Brush olive oil onto both sides of bread slices. Grill or toast bread.
- Layer pesto, diced avocado, microgreens and parmesan onto tartines.
food for thought
There’s nothing so bad that it couldn’t be worse.
– Irish Proverb